Monday, June 22, 2009

mmmm... carbs

nother Monday (without a scale. I swear I'm such a scatterbrain. I wish it were as easy to forget to eat as it is to forget to buy batteries!)... it's been a pretty good week, overall. My oldest son has Vacation Bible Camp every evening this week, so getting to the gym will be a challenge, but I should be able to get in at least a 1/2 hour between dropping him off at church and picking him up again.

I did manage to get in a good bit of activity yesterday. I was scheduled to do an engagement session on Saturday but we got rained out. Even though it's supposed to rain every day this week, yesterday we braved the drizzle, took advantage of a short lull in the rain and managed to get in some great shots before the rain forced us to quit (we'll finish up our session hopefully next weekend). The couple decided to have their session at the Irving Nature Park. It's so beautiful there, and we did a lot of walking along trails and climbing rocks looking for the perfect photo opportunities.

In other news, I discovered a very tasty treat this weekend. I've mentioned before that I have a certain, shall we say, issue, with carbs. A love-hate relationship. A not-so-secret obsession. I have PCOS with a tendency towards insulan-resistance, so it's also an unhealthy obsession. I do my best to stick with healthy carbs like the kinds found in some fruits and veggies, and in whole grain pastas and breads. But sometimes a girl just wants some junk food (or at least something that resembles junk food). My biggest vice used to be chips. Potato chips, tortilla chips, corn chips. Yummy chippy goodness. Sitting in the evenings, watching tv, my husband and I could easily devour a half bag or more.

Enter my latest discovery on the Path to Healthy Eating: Quaker Crispy Tortillaz. I apologize for the "trendeigh" spelling, but I swear I had nothing to do with it. Am I the only one insanely annoyed by the marketing profession's incessant need to misspell words in a "cutesy" way, as though we wouldn't be able to remember their product's name otherwise? /end rant

Despite its unfortunate spelling, these tasty tortilla chips are a fantastic alternative to more unhealthy alternatives. There are several flavours available, but my favourite is the Santa Fe Ranch: They remind me of the Cool Ranch Doritos my friends and I used to eat by the truckload in Jr. High, back when I had the metabolism of a gnat. Each 8-chip serving has only 60 calories, 2 grams of fat and 1 gram of fibre, for just 1 Weight Watchers point. Two servings is a perfect snack size to satisfy both hunger and the need for something to much while surfing in tv land.

Well, I guess that's it for today. Later!


2 comments:

  1. awww man. Cooler Ranch! i'm not even a snack guy, but i loved those chips. i don't know what they put in them but i could never get enough.

    i might have to try these out. and yes, i also hate those tired marketing schemes with the words misspelled. very unkool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to give them a try. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete